Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Running in Circles

Running to me is freedom. It makes everything fall into the right place, it puts me into a state of mind where everything seems possible. Actually, anything IS possible, that I know by now. I was not really a fat or obese child, but I have always been the person in school who finished the lap on the running track last, I was the person nobody wanted on their volleyball team and during the years in school I had to take quite a lot of spite and malice for being not so slender, athletic or sporty. I was only in third grade, when my teacher told me that I am simply not a sporty person and that I just had to go with it: „Some are sporty, others are not, so you won’t get better than a C anyway.“ Sometimes I would really like to talk to that teacher, Mrs. Schneider, who ironically wrote into my Schoolfriends-Book that the thing she wishes to accomplish in life is finishing a marathon, and tell her that by now I have done so already. Twice.

So what has changed?

I take comfort in the idea, that it was the lapse of competition in the lonely and snowy areas of northeastern Finland (where I was happy to study a semester abroad) that eventually drove me to trying and trying again until I could finally do it, but it started earlier, with many laps of Nordic Walking together with my mom and sister. What took me so long? Believing, I guess. I simply did not think I could do it. And that is where the Finnish snow sets in. I was very sad at that time (sometimes, I still am today), but nevertheless it was maybe the first time in my life when I had the feeling, that it is totally okay to be the way I am, including every flaw and sadness, and that I have every right to be exactly that way. That I do not owe anyone anything. “You owe yourself,” to say it the Rocky-way. Running in the Finnish snow (more precise: jogging. Veeery slow.) was cold and pretty hard – try running in 40 cm high fresh snow once, you’ll see then! But getting out there had nothing to do with proving anything, with losing weight, with getting sporty or beating the clock. I got there for only one reason: Because I wanted to.

As a child (and still nowadays), I could easily be on my own and even long after stepping into highschool, I still enjoyed strolling through the woods behind my parents’ house, trying to shoot rabbits by bow and arrows or frying eggs over open fire in the garden. I always liked the idea of being a part of nature, melting into environment, doing something perfectly natural in a full circle of life. I felt like kind of fulfilling my nature, and I had this feeling then as I still have it now, out in the woods on a run. It was this feeling that I caught again out there in the snow – it just felt right. I could go as fast or slow as I wanted, no teachers, classmates or kilograms to haunt me – everything fell into its place. This feeling is the greatest freedom I know.

Don’t get me wrong, I am far from a state of meditative Zen, where I do not care about pace or distance at all. But these are always competitions with myself, and to me, they are gifts rather than burdens: When I was about twenty years old, I would have never believed any person who had told me, that one day I would be able to finish a 5K run. Thus, I was the proudest girl on earth when I did. And again, when they grew to 10K. 10K in less than 70 minutes. 10K in less than an hour. The 15-kilometres-bridge-to-bridge-lap. My first half-marathon. A much harder (and steeper!) one after a bad break-up and weeks of very little sleep. And finally, marathon. But these are my races, not anybody else’s.

To not be misunderstood: Running is not always easy. At all. It does not even always feel good. There are freaking hard runs, some hurt and some just won’t end. But start and finish line never look the same. I never feel the same after a run than I did before. By running, I move, I evolve. And this is a circle, because what motivates me, what moves me, is nothing and no one but myself.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Girls‘ Morning Out

Ich habe eine beste Freundin und das ist ein riesengroßes Glück. Wir haben zusammen Abitur gemacht, das ist inzwischen eine Weile her, und kennen uns nun schon etwas länger als unser halbes Leben. Neben unserem gemeinsamen Interesse für Indierock, unserem wahnsinnig guten Humor und der phänomenalen Fähigkeit, Bierflaschen mit Medaillen zu öffnen (oder den Zähnen, wofür wir aber inzwischen zu vernünftig sind), verbindet uns auch die Leidenschaft fürs Laufen. Zwar haben wir zu Schulzeiten in derselben Stadt gelebt und auch Teile des Studiums noch in relativer örtlicher Nähe zueinander verbracht, doch spätestens mit dem Berufseinstieg zog es meine Freundin in urbanere und kosmopolitischere Gefilde als Nordrhein-Westfalen zu bieten hat – seither sehen wir uns seltener, als wir beide gut finden. So mag es wenig erstaunen, dass wir die raren Treffen dann ordentlich feiern. Lange, lange Zeit bedeutete das vor allem, feste anzustoßen. So oft und so viel, bis von dem kostbaren Abend (oder T

Happy Höhenmeter? Im Schwarzwald geht es bergauf.

Ich bin, so hat es ein leider nie wiedergesehener netter Gesprächspartner auf einer Berliner Hinterhofsommerhochzeitsfeier einmal schön in Worte gefasst, „ein richtiges Draußenmädchen“. Ich gehe gerne wandern, habe schon als Kind beim Spielen mit Vorliebe so getan, als gäbe es in unserem Garten keine Zivilisation und übernachte heute noch gerne im Wald, obwohl ich Spinnen eklig finde.  (Dazu mein Mann nachdenklich während einer kalten Januarnacht nahe Forbach: „Jetzt bezahlen wir also Miete für eine Wohnung in Köln und eine Wohnung in Baden-Baden und schlafen im Winter im Zelt.“) Eigentlich spiele ich immer noch gerne draußen und tue so, als gäbe es keine Zivilsation. (Nur Wege. Und Wegweiser. Und Googlemaps.) Jedenfalls ist es als „Draußenmädchen“ mit Begeisterung für Laufsport ja fast selbstverpflichtend, Trailrunning (wie „Durch-den-Wald-Laufen“ neudeutsch heißt) großartig zu finden. Auch ich finde, dass Laufbänder irgendwie wahr gewordene Hamsterräder für Menschen sind und habe mic

Laufen 2020 – Pt. 2: Ein Beinahe-Sixpack und ganz neue Ziele

Nach dem für mich triumphalen Abschluss des Marathonkurses braucht es nicht viel, um mich für den Anschlusskurs im Sommer zu begeistern. Zwar sind nach wie vor keine „echten“ Laufwettbewerbe in Sicht, aber der sommerliche Schwarzwald lockt als Laufrevier, zumal inmitten von Lockdowns und Corona-Tristesse.  Auch den besten aller Ehemänner kann ich von meinem Vorhaben überzeugen, zumal es in diesem „Ausnahmekurs“ einen Laufplan für alle gibt und Gesundheit, Spaß und Höhenmeter statt Kilometer kloppen im Fokus stehen. Kraft- und vor allem Rumpftraining bleibt weiterhin ein Schwerpunkt, der berühmte Sixpack wird für die einen mehr, für die anderen weniger scherzhaft zum neuen Ziel. Ich persönlich bin jedenfalls stolz wie Bolle, als sich die ersten Muskelpartien recht deutlich abzuzeichnen beginnen. Neue Ziele   Das neue Laufziel ist indes folgendes: Den Panoramaweg rund um Baden-Baden laufen – etwa 45 Kilometer mit 1800 Höhenmetern als „Run & Hike“, Steigungen dürfen und sollen ausdrü